Monday, September 30, 2013

A New Beginning


Finding an apartment in New York City feels like an ongoing battle. Thankfully, the battle is finally over. Signing the lease to my apartment brought excitement and reality to my future opportunity at Marc Jacobs International. Because my internship does not start until November 1st, I have been dedicating my time working and managing a clothing boutique as well as working for stylist Amy Salinger. In a couple of weeks, Amy’s show Million Dollar Shoppers will air on Lifetime Television (right after Project Runway’s part one season finale)! I have been busy promoting her show as well as designing weekly trend reports based around her personal style tips. So far, from the tidbits that I have seen, I believe the show is going to be a hit. I am hoping that if you check it out October 10th at 10:30 PM you will be entertained by Amy's personality and sense of humor (she has quite the TV personality). Reflecting back onto my experience working for Amy, it is hard to imagine that I have been working for her for over a year. I feel blessed to be part of this opportunity to watch and help her grow within her business and profession. Working for Amy has not only taught me so much about the styling end of fashion, but also how to be your own brand and promote yourself. She has been a great role model and mentor to me in this aspect. Having solid experience working within the industry, I truly value her advice.

Aside from my work with Amy, I also had the opportunity to attend a Neiman Marcus event at the Short Hills Mall in New Jersey this past Saturday. The purpose of the event was to raise money for cancer. There were beauty bars, a variety of finger foods, and of course fashion. My lifelong family friend Daniel Musto was the host for the night. Daniel has been climbing his way up in the fashion industry for as long as I can remember. As a leading celebrity stylist, he has worked with Giuliana Rancic, Karina Smirnoff and Kendra Wilkinson to name a few. As he presented the looks he styled, I could not help but feel overcome with emotion watching him achieve his dreams before my eyes. Having seen his journey up until this point, I have witnessed that it was not an easy route. However, it was beyond inspiring to see how his determination helped him accomplish far beyond his dreams. Overall it was definitely a night I will never forget.

Hope all of my fellow colleagues are adjusting well into their new internships. Be sure to let me know what you think of Million Dollar Shoppers if you check it out! To watch the preview for the show you can click here.

3 comments:

  1. That's truly awesome Jaclyn! I will definitely tune into the show's premiere :) How exciting it will be working for Marc Jacobs International, I am looking forward to hearing about your experience! Enjoy it while it lasts, it goes by faster than you expect it to, and before you know it you are back at Drexel like myself! Co-Op truly is the best experience you will have in college as of yet, you will be a changed woman coming out of this experience, you will learn more on your own two feet than any book could teach you! Wishing you all the best of luck in NYC, if you've never been to Macaron Cafe, it is a MUST HAVE! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adria for your wonderful advice. I will definitely have to check out that cafe! Enjoy your time back in Philly and I will see you when I get back! xxo

      Delete
  2. Finding an apartment was horribly difficult! I am glad to hear that I was not the only one that struggled to find an apartment. For me the most stressful part was finding roommates that A. I would get along with B. would be willing and able to live in NY, and C. would be fun to live with. I was successful and accomplished finding roommates that possessed all of these aspects. We found our apartment in Greenwich Village and it is a miracle that we found such a wonderful place. We were forced to make the decision to live outside of Manhattan and pay less for our living expenses or live in Manhattan and pay more to live the dream. We thought that the experience of living in Manhattan was worth the extra expenses and I am very happy with our decision!

    ReplyDelete