Thursday, July 31, 2014

Philly Vs. NYC: The Commute


I didn’t realize just how much work traveling from Philly to NYC was until I no longer faced with the commute three days a week. When I was living in Philly I woke up at 5:45 to catch a 7am bus that made it into Manhattan by 9:15. I was unfamiliar with the Subway so I would walk up 7th Ave all the way from 28th Street to 42nd. I would leave Michael Kors at 5pm, an hour earlier than the other interns, to make a 5:45pm bus. Sometimes I made this bus and sometimes I didn’t. Depending on rush hour traffic I would normally be home in Philly by 8pm when I would immediately make dinner and fall asleep, just to do it all over again.

Now that I live a mere two miles from my office I am granted the luxury of sleep. I wake up at 8:15 and have time to shower, get ready, and eat breakfast. Believe me, breakfast was a luxury when I was commuting. I leave my apartment by 9:15 and walk a block to the bus stop. The bus takes me to 23rd Street and 6th Ave where I switch over to either the F or M train going uptown. I only have to travel two stops until I am at the Bryant Park stop, which is directly across the street from my office. I now stay at work until 6pm and usually walk home. I’m always home by 7pm and have plenty of time to go on a run by the river, cook myself dinner, and unwind from the day.

Waking up at 5:45 now seems obscene to me and I sometimes snooze my 8:15 alarm, so I have no idea how I managed for three months this past spring. Having the experience of both commuting and living in Manhattan has given me an amazing perspective when it comes to comparing the two. Prior to living in New York I thought I was saving both my parents and myself money by commuting. Let me tell you, those bus tickets add up quick. Finding affordable housing in New York is easier than I imagined, and I have time to work closing shifts at the Loft the same days I intern.  New York has taught me how to cut corners and budget in new ways that I hadn’t dealt with in Philly. I still take a bus every morning to work, but now it’s only a twenty-minute ride, not two hours. I still walk my fair share of blocks, but now it’s actually enjoyable and not a race against the clock.

To those debating whether to commute to the city or bite the bullet and move, to each their own. Personally, I’m happy I decided to move to Manhattan because it has allowed me to become closer with the interns I work with. I’ve made friendships I know will last a lifetime at Michael Kors. I also am able to get a sneak peek of my future life after graduation if I do decide to move to New York permanently. New York is no longer a fantasy place, but a city I feel comfortable living and working in.

No comments:

Post a Comment