Wednesday, August 13, 2014

How To Be The Intern With Style

As Design and Merchandising students, we have been trained to look at the rules of design in all aspects of life. In art, culture, and fashion our education at Drexel has taught us how to be inquisitive, creative and innovative. No wonder I feel like a kid in the candy store almost every day I walk into my office. My eyes are welcomed with the gorgeous wardrobes of my coworkers on the daily. I see Louboutin's on Tuesday's, Chanel on dress down day, and more "It" bags than I can name. We are lucky to be a part of an industry that welcomes expression in the way we dress for work. I could never be one of those people who puts on one of three basic suits every morning. It would be impossible not to feel a little left out of the designer fun the full time employees at Michael Kors take part in. As an unpaid intern I mostly dream of the luxurious closets of the women I work with. I wonder if they shopped at Second Time Around as a 21 year old too. I not-so-secretly pray that one day I can look as fabulous as they must on the subway.

Not having a gargantuan budget for clothes has forced me to be creative with my work wardrobe. By no means do I slack. I have found that the key to dressing for work in a fashionable office like mine is one of my favorite sayings, "fake it 'til you make it". I have scoured over sale sections to find a full mid length skirt to pair with a cheap tank. I thrive in stores like Loft (50% associate discount heeey!) that sell on trend pieces at more affordable prices. I also love a good sale. I will peruse the sale section in almost any store just for fun. You never know what you may find! Spending a lot of money on trendy clothes that will be out next season isn't a luxury afforded to me just yet in life. I tend to spend a little more on classic pieces, like a great pair of black skinny pants, or comfy buttery leather flats. Those types of investment pieces instantly add value to the fun trendy items you bought for cheap. Looking put together and completing the look can be achieved with an added accessory or a smear of lipstick.

There is nothing I have come to relish in more is a compliment on a sale find from a woman in designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment