Thursday, August 21, 2014

You Learn Something New Every Day


After five months interning at Michael Kors I have to say I know my way around the block. Generally speaking, I am familiar with almost everyone on the team, can handle my daily tasks with ease and have no problem when it comes to helping with projects. I’ve become extremely comfortable with my internship and know the ins and outs of my day-to-day here as an intern. That was up until yesterday. Yesterday I was asked to complete a task completely new to me. I was to act as the corporate receptionist while the current receptionist went on her lunch break.

The receptionist at Michael Kors Headquarters is the fist person all guests are greeted by. It is her duty to welcome all guests (people coming in for interviews, other companies coming in for meetings, etc.), and connect them to the third party they are meeting with. The receptionist also answers the corporate phone, which rings nearly off the hook constantly. It is her job to transfer calls to the correct person or department.

While an hour at her desk doesn’t seem overly difficult, I was surprised by how stressful her job really was. In one hour at reception I was faced with customers calling to demand refunds on damaged products, while others raving about how much they love the brand. People from all over the world called and requested transfers to departments I wasn’t aware we even had! The most stressful part of working reception? Having multiple people waiting for meetings while the employee they are meeting with is unreachable. There is a strict protocol when it comes to reaching the MK employee. The receptionist is to call their extension no more than ten minutes before the appointment time. If they don’t pick up, she is to email them and the subject must be “______  from ______ is here to see you!” No more, no less. Certain employees like to be texted, not called when their appointment comes in. With thousands of employees at Michael Kors is can be extremely overwhelming.

Today I am filling in for the receptionist again. I’m hoping that after one day I will feel more confident. Her best advice to me was to remember, the receptionist is in charge of the lobby. Stay calm and never forgot that you’re the boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment