Thursday, August 14, 2014

When Enthusiasm Goes Too Far


Being eager to learn from an internship is a quality that all employers are looking when hiring. The desire to learn and grow from an interning experience is more than natural, and enthusiasm goes a long way. With that being said, there is such a thing as being too eager and aggressive at an internship.

I’m sure everyone has worked with a person so eager to get ahead that they don’t mind stepping on other’s toes. Learning how to deal with different personalities is a huge part of growing up, both socially and professionally. I make it a priority to get to know the people I interact with on a daily basis in my office, whether that be the doorman, my fellow interns, or my supervisors.  Not everyone follows this same code. Maybe they are preoccupied with projects or distracted, I’m not entirely sure. When interning, you never know where those around you will end up working. Having connections with fellow interns is just as important as with your supervisors, in my opinion. I have met interns who have worked for some amazing companies and had both great and terrible stories I can learn from.

I know that my attitude towards my peers isn’t one shared by all of the young people entering this industry. From our first days as freshmen we are taught to be prepared to work hard. Fashion is competitive and ruthless at times. I have found that the ruthless ones are the ones just starting out, not the seasoned executives in the office. People who are so eager to land their dream job that they miss out on the journey. Yes, interning isn’t always glamorous, but it is a part of the process. I know I wouldn’t want to jump right to the top of my field without experiencing what happens at the base. Some intern tasks may seem menial, but in the grand scheme of the corporation make a huge impact. I hope that my career journey will be shared wit those that I have had the chance to form relationships with along the way

No comments:

Post a Comment