Thursday, September 4, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

For most people who live in Monmouth County, New Jersey like myself, LDW is the day to soak up as much beach as possible for it is the last day of the season. The weather held out this long weekend to give the loyal beach club members a gorgeous last day. I, however, sweat through three shirts while working the annual Labor Day Pier Village Sidewalk Sale. This past weekend was my personal nightmare. As a sales associate during this bargain hunter's dream, I have to wheel seven overly stocked racks into the sun and watch women and children dig through every item to find the perfect match for their "2 for $15" sale. Then I have to try and maintain some kind of order amongst the hundreds of plastic hangers holding last season's crop tops.
Turns out, my part time retail job is way more demanding than my big PR internship. I am enjoying the new responsibilities that my managers have put of my plate such as manning the register. Although the sidewalk sale is the most exhausting weekend, I do not mind being outside people watching for twelve hours. It is comical to watch woman in bathing suits try on pieces on the sidewalk. At 6 O'clock sharp on Monday, we lowered the final sale price of everything on the sidewalk to one dollar. This is when the real entertainment starts. We ended up selling every single summer item we had in inventory.
In addition to selling items from our sale, this attention to our inside new Fall pieces gave us a head start for the Fall sales goal. The intricate way this  boutique is merchandised, makes it hard for customers to walk by without stopping and shopping.
I know I can cross retail off my career list but for a part time job, it is worth it. And now that summer is over and the busiest season is another year away.
Ready for Fall 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment