Thursday, September 4, 2014

Working Woman

   As Drexel's summer quarter comes to a close this late Thursday night--or early Friday morning--of finals week, more than just the summer quarter is coming to a close in my life.  Tomorrow is my last day at Loft until the New Year.  Not only is this the end of a period in my life, but it is also the beginning of a new one.

   Due to studying abroad in Florence beginning this Monday, I am taking a leave of absence from Loft until January.  While I am beyond excited and lucky to embark on new experiences and get a break from my work, I am also slightly devastated.  As much stress Loft may induce, I love my job an extreme amount.  It is my escape, my passion, and my home away from home.  It provides me a balance in life by keeping me busy, focused, and on task.  

   Working in general has been a major part of who I am for six years.  Having a job since the age of 14, years before any of my peers, I was quick to learn responsibility, financial skills, and other crucial skills involved in holding a job.  It has made me the well-rounded person with a strong drive and work ethic that I am today.  Although these past six years have ingrained these qualities in me, it makes me nervous to think of not having a job.  Will I have a successful balanced life in Italy?  Will I get bored?  Will I run out of money?  All of these, I realize, are absurd fears to have.  I am going to be living in Florence for four months, experiencing the traveling of my dreams!  I am beyond fortunate to get an experience like this while getting a break from working in the first time since I began high school.

   Other apprehensions include my relationship with my Loft team.  Over the past year, I have found myself shocked at the close relationships I have built with my coworkers.  In addition, the past year has provided a great and fast turnover in team members.  Two managers left abruptly with little to no notice, sales associates graduated from college and moved on, and others left for separate reasons.  This past summer has provided an especially great loss in coworkers, leaving us extremely understaffed.  So while I am adding to one more missing team member beginning Sunday, my managers are in the midst of building almost an entirely new team.  My manager even bluntly stated to me today, "you will have an entirely new team to work with when you return."

   So as I approach my final shift for four months tomorrow, I have a great deal to reflect upon: my amazing past year as a team member at Loft, the wonderful relationships I have built, and finally a break from having a job, something I am sure I will convince myself to be a wonderful thing as soon as I land in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment