Monday, December 2, 2013

The Little Steps

My Thanksgiving break consisted of food, family, old friends, food and some more food. Reconnecting with loved ones reminds me of old memories, and more importantly my roots. Although I have made so many new incredible friends at college, I have made it a goal to remain connected to old friends and family. I was thankful to have the chance to meet up with my high school friends and catch up for a few hours. It is always a great feeling to pick up right where you left off. After meeting my friend Kathryn for brunch, I couldn’t help but reflect on the past. I began to think about all of the minor steps I have made throughout my life that have led me to where I am now. In the moment these steps do not feel significant, but I have realized now how important each of these steps has been.

A major topic that came about while reconnecting with my family and friends was college and career. Most of my friends will be graduating this year, and many of them have expressed the discomfort with this reality. My sister Danielle will be graduating this May, and the topic alone makes her anxious. Seeing some of my friends struggle to find jobs post graduation evokes a discomforting feeling within me as well. That being said, I can understand why my sister and most students are not thrilled to graduate. Graduating from college means stepping into the real world with the pressure of finding a job that makes you feel content. However, I think the pressure of knowing exactly what we want to do with our life is also a stress. This weight hovers over most of us, since a majority of students do not have the slightest clue as to what they want to do with their lives. As my mom always says, her generation had much more “wiggle room” and ours does not. I think this pressure hinders the process of finding our destiny in life. Rather than having the opportunity to explore and figure it out gradually, we are thrown into it and forced to make a quick decision.  Unfortunately, this pressure is something we cannot just ignore. I have been very thankful to have always known my interests are in fashion. Despite my uncertainty for not knowing exactly what I would like to do within the fashion industry, I will keep reminding myself of the little steps that will lead me to it.


1 comment:

  1. I constantly think about the future and my plans after college, but I do not often think about the little steps in between. I enjoyed reading your post because it provided certainty that it is okay not to know what you want to do after school or where you want to be. I will try not to give into the pressure and search for the "wiggle room" that your mom talks about :))

    ReplyDelete