Wednesday, December 4, 2013

TIMES SQUARE


Leaving work early has to be one of the greatest feelings ever. Today my boss let me leave two hours early! Her exact instructions were to “Get out of here… go shopping or something!” I listened to her directives very intently and did exactly as she told me. I purchased a new dress for the upcoming holiday parties that I would be attending and also bought a few Christmas presents. This all took place in Times Square, I would never have been caught dead there at 6:00PM if I hadn’t gotten out early. I soon remembered why New Yorkers avoid Times Square like the plague, thousands of tourists flocked to the streets like bumble bees! I barely made it out alive!


When I was younger my family and I always went to Times Square – it was the tourist thing to do. I always wondered how the people handing out pamphlets and advertising city bus tours knew that we were tourists. Just like when I was a freshman at Drexel I always wondered how people knew instantly. It is so funny to me know looking back because it is so obvious! The people crowding into the streets of Times Square have “TOURIST!” pasted all over them, and the students going to the Hans for dinner scream “FRESHMEN!” I guess it was hard for me to understand how blatant my status was to others until I was on the other side.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, Time Square is another animal, I am glad you were able to get out alive! FYI if you are ever in that area again there is a pizza place called Bella Vita that makes the best pies and tiramisu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice treat from your boss! Gotta love when that happens! Whether you took it or not, that is such a great photo! I love the fisheye lens emphasizing that Times Square can feel like a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete