Monday, October 26, 2015

Week 5 @ Freedom Rains

I really can't believe that a month has gone by! Just like last week, everyone is really working hard to finalize all the designs and sourcing for Fall '16. We're hoping to complete everything by the first week of November that way we can put prototypes into production. The designers finally had sketches ready, so this week I got to edit those and create tech packs to be sent out to our factories. Since we are obviously unable to create each piece by hand we need tech packs to act as instructions for our factories. Initially, they contain detailed sketches of the garment, a list of materials being used (including fabrics, trims, fusibles, etc), specific construction and sewing details, and measurements. It's a lot of work and everything has to be very precise or else our coats could come out looking completely wonky!

While we're mainly working on next fall right now, we also can't forget about Spring '16. We had another fitting this week to finalize the measurements for some of the Spring coats. Even though we're a contemporary line, I think it's great that we try to fit for the average woman and we're always adjusting to make sure everything is as perfect as possible. Getting the fit and silhouette right are definitely vital when thinking about our different customers. Not everyone is a 5'9, size 2 model who wants to wear a super fitted coat. We need to have something for everyone and cater to different body shapes. Furthermore, I also got to accompany the lead designer while running some errands to our pattern maker and some of our textile manufacturers' offices. I really appreciate that she values my opinion and we've been bonding over our shared Drexel experiences since she's an alumni! I also just feel like I'm learn a lot from watching her work and being able to sit in on meetings with her. I also found out this week that a color palette I developed for a line of packable raincoats at Saks Fifth Avenue while the designers were away in Europe got approved! Even though it seems kind of nerdy, I still think it's really cool that they liked the colors I chose for them.

To top off this week, my Mum came down for the day on Friday and we were able to go shop our showroom for coats. While the company is giving me one for free, I couldn't resist buying two more because my discount is so good! I really can't wait to wear them this winter. Of course, my Mum was also excited to see where I work and meet everyone. And speaking of Mom's, Zac Posen's own Mom came in earlier this week to pick out coats for herself! I was surprised at how normal she was considering her son is so fabulous (we even found that she takes the bus around New York). It was really cool to meet her though and she even welcomed me into the House of Z family!

I feel bad that I can't take a lot of pictures at work, so here's a photo of the view from my rooftop! Living in Manhattan really goes hand in hand with my co-op experience. I've gotten to do a lot of exploring and I feel more and more like a New Yorker everyday.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool about the color palette! Even if it is nerdy I'm so impressed, I feel like I know someone famous :)
    I also think it's so great that you're so involved, it really seems like you're learning a ton about production and you get to be really hands on. Glad you're having a great time in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're proud of you Niece!! Design the heck out of stuff!!! Hopefully I get the invite to your first runway show!!! 👏🏼

    ReplyDelete