Sunday, June 2, 2013

Design vs. Art


Lately, in my work and in my thoughts I have noticed the difference between a designer and an artist- a designer is sought out to blossom the seed of an idea into a bountiful flower. The flower is planted in a garden with the designer making sure to follow instructions on the package of watering, fertilizing, and sustaining its growth. An artist is a wildflower, with seeds spreading through the grace of the wind, landing in unexpected places with no inherent direction. But when that flower blossoms it creates a whole new aspect of life, one that was never unintentional, as all life is premeditated, but one born with the privilege of freedom; that is an artist. I enjoy being an artist because I like to feel in control of my work and that choices are my own. I enjoy being a free bird and any limitation is discouraging to my inherent being. This is a lot to ask for in a career, but I need to do something that sustains my inherent need to be free. To push boundaries and to uphold my insatiable desire to create and express from the mind that is my own, in a way that has never been done before, because it has never been done by me. 

1 comment: