Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Little discrepency

-->
Lately my employer has not been so thrilled that I have been making executive decisions to leave a little earlier than projected when there is no work.   Usually I get her at 9:30 when expected by 10 and leave anytime between 6 and 6:30.  But with there being nothing to do but sit around I rather get a head start on my commute so I can make dinner, go to bed, and get up and do it all again. 

There are two bosses in my department and we sit around all day waiting for them to give us garments to write up to send to different Celebrities and publications.  Rarely do I ever come in contact with my bosses unless either of us is at place of confusion.  We small talk around here about our weekends, which are really irrelevant to my learning of the actually business, however are really enjoyable for both parties depending on the day.  I ask a few questions here and there about the operation of the business but have to be very conscious that I don’t appear as a walking question mark.  Yes, people say get involved and ask questions blah blah blah but what they fail to realize is that people are trying to get a job done and if they don’t take a liking to you they are definitely not going to go out of their way to provide you information or revisit your questions.  With that being said these people are here to use you for your work and not mentor you, which is a huge reason why I want to leave early if there is nothing for me to work on.

I do understand the notion of pretending like you want to be here.  However my time is valuable too.  I don’t have a problem with days being slow but I want to use my time efficiently and wisely.  Would they rather me sit around for an extra half hour to test my willingness to be here is that what they want????????? Maybe I needed to write my own Co-op student employer agreement clause.

No comments:

Post a Comment