Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BCBGed OUT

For the first few weeks of being in NYC I was interning at BCBGMAXAZRIA Monday through Wednesday and going to Washington DC pretty much every weekend to visit my boyfriend since I had nothing else to do. I’m the type of person who can’t just sit around doing nothing and I actually enjoy working and feeling accomplished. My parents were starting to get annoyed that I wasn’t utilizing New York and that I was going out more than I was working. It was pretty clear that I needed a job like yesterday or I would not be going out and enjoying New York City.

One of my favorite parts about interning with PR was pulling for studio loans. I’m not sure how it came about it, but organizing the studio loans became my starring role as a PR intern. We would occasionally receive stylist request for celebrities such as Michelle Obama and Cameron Diaz. However, sometimes stylist would request items from Herve Leger and BCBGMAXAZRIA that we did not have samples of so it became my job and mission to call every retail store in NYC and hunt down the merchandise. I was also constantly running back and forth between corporate and the flagship to assist the stylist with their pulls or to return the studio loans so the store wouldn’t lose out on inventory and sales. Once I was acquainted with all the managers and stock guys at the flagship store on 40th and 5th I started to feel like I was a part of their team as well. One day the operations manager said to me, “I feel like you work for our store, you’re here more than at the office!” On my walk back to the office I started to think how fun and beneficial it would be to work at the store. I could learn both sides of the industry, familiarize myself with the merchandise, and best of all make money and stay in New York, which would make my parents happy.

chandeliers from the BCBGMAXAZRIA flagship on 40th and 5th Ave.



Before I knew it my boss had emailed my resume over to the hiring manager and by mid-October I was working part-time at BCBGMAXAZRIA’s NYC Flagship. I quickly fell in love with the retail world and all of the merchandise. I felt like I was truly part of a team and making use of my free days. My role started off as a cashier and now I assist with administrative paperwork and other small tasks the managers need help with. Although my closet has changed from solely all black to all black and long asymmetrical silk BCBG shirts, I sometimes feel BCBGed out and like my life revolves around nothing else. Though it seems overwhelming I am actually extremely grateful for the opportunity I was given to work with all different ends of the company. I really feel that I am learning so much more than I ever bargained for and I have a much bigger appreciation for BCBGMAXAZRIA as a corporation.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great solution! The obvious benefit to getting a part-time job is the additional income, but it will also provide you with a better sense of the brand's product and customer, which is important even when you're working in a behind-the-scenes position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are getting the ultimate coop experience. It is great that you were able to turn a small part time internship into a full time job, especially at such a great company like BCBG. New York is an amazing city, experience it as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete