Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Year, New Chapter

I am well into my third month at Marc Jacobs International. I began as a Design intern at the start of coop, and I have now transitioned over to a new position as a Sample Room intern. It worked out in my favor that I was able to gain two different experiences all under the same roof. I have learned so much about the design end while working for the MJ team, and it has been awesome to move over to the sample room to gain another perspective. Already within my first week I have seen how much the design and sample room relate. I have grown to appreciate and love each position. I was a little sad to be leaving the design team at first, but I can tell right away that I am going to enjoy being a part of the sample room. It is inspiring to be around so much activity with all of the sewers, pattern makers and cutters. I already feel part of the family.

In the sample room, I work with a large number of hand sewing projects for production. I am always using my hands to sew, make zippers, or perfect a large number of projects. At first I found it to be overwhelming to duplicate a task after being instructed for only a brief minute, but in time I have picked the techniques up rather quickly. Similar to my design position, I feel accomplished leaving work each day knowing I am given and trusted with a lot of responsibility. It has been a great experience so far in 2013, and I am eager to further my knowledge and skills in my remaining months. At the moment, we are preparing for our fall collection. The workflow in the sample room has significantly picked up since the show is just weeks away. My fellow interns have warned me how hectic it gets before the show, and I am ready to be thrown into the chaos.

Marc Jacobs' New Campaign
Also, if you have seen Marcs' new campaign I would love to hear your thoughts! Hope everyone had a great week. xx

1 comment:

  1. I think it is so awesome and important that you were able to intern with two different departments. I also switched departments half way through and I feel SO lucky that I had the opportunity to do so. There's so much to the industry I didn't even know existed and I feel like interning within different areas has helped me understand all the ins and outs of a company. For me the best part about switching is that I instantly knew what I liked and what I didn't. Hope you're also learning more about yourself and what you want to do when you graduate through this process!

    ReplyDelete