Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Life After Co-op

Hello! I’m no stranger to the D&M media hub (this past summer I blogged about my study abroad experience at d&mAbroad, and in the spring I made a couple of videos for our new Youtube channel), but allow me to introduce myself. My name is Courtney Denton and I’m a senior design & merchandising student. Along with graduating in June 2014 with a bachelor’s of science, I’ll have a minor in art history and a concentration in fashion product promotion and special events.

While most of the students here are writing about their co-op experiences, my position is a little different. I completed my co-op in the fall and winter of my junior year as a merchandising intern at A Pea in the Pod in Philadelphia. I had a great experience, learned more than I ever expected and was even able to stay on as a part-time intern once I started classes again. Despite having such a positive experience, I was ready to try something new once I returned to school this year.

I used to speculate about interning in New York, perhaps pursuing my likely unattainable dream of working for a fashion publication, but for some reason I decided that was an impossible goal. I think my pragmatism got the best of me, and I settled for some more accessible opportunities here at school. Without any industry connections or a dozen internships already under my belt, I didn't have a chance. Who was I kidding? Somewhere along the line this term my mindset changed pretty drastically. I completely redesigned my resume and started applying for internships like it was my job. I sent out no less than 20 applications, and even though I only got one interview request, somehow everything worked out.

I’m incredibly lucky to have gotten the position I did. I’ll be working as a public relations intern at the e U.S. headquarters of Prada! This means I will be commuting to New York from Philadelphia three days a week, while still taking a full load of courses. Wish me luck! I think I’ll really need it.

3 comments:

  1. Courtney, congrats on your new position at Prada! That is such an exciting opportunity. It is really inspiring that you are taking a full load of classes as well as interning three days a week. I would also love to hear about your experience abroad, I am considering studying in Prague this summer and really would like to hear about other peoples experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! Myself and several other D&M students studied abroad in Prague just this past summer, so if you head on over the d&mAbroad blog you can read about our experiences. You'll have to go a few pages back, however.

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to hear more about your experience in Prada! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your application process. Good luck with your classes and your internship. Hard work pays off!

    ReplyDelete