Friday, January 31, 2014

Progressions

Working with the middle school has been very unpredictable. Last Tuesday, the coordinator and I met to go over the visual designs for The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia’s Sneaker Project. Once we gathered our materials, we headed towards the classroom and were told that there would be no Visual Arts that day. Some of the kids were really disappointed. It was nice to see that some of the students were beginning to be more appreciative of art and design. Today, I received a call and was informed that the school is going through a transition phase and will not be having Visual Arts until next week.

I am taking this time off to figure out what future projects we can work on for the next couple of months. Last week, the students were thrilled when they saw examples of famous installations for inspiration. As of now, the projects we have completed have been pretty simple and straightforward due to the time constraints. I really want to strive for more intricate and interactive installations. One thing that I have to keep in mind is I have to give them a variety of project/designs for them to select from. I learned that it is vital for them to have an opinion and further improve on my project. Some students voice their opinions more than others but a few have started to become more comfortable around me. Currently, I am thinking about interactive installations for the hallways. There are two major hurdles that I have to keep in mind and that is the time constraint and the use of the materials. I believe that a colorful and fun hallway may affect the way the students feel about the school and I will try my best to fulfill that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment