Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Culture


Throughout the many discussions about the job hunt I’ve had in the past few years, one of the most prevalent points made is to examine the company’s corporate culture. I think culture is something especially important to my millennial generation. While I have been working for free people since Freshman year of college at the retail level, stepping up to corporate level for co-op proved to be a big change. URBN is a company often recognized for its corporate culture, but the fact is you really only get a taste of this at the retail level. When I worked at the store on Walnut St I really did enjoy it. The girls I worked with became a second family and that always made work fun. However, the hours, annoying tasks, and customer difficulties were not what I would call “pros” to the job. When I moved up to the showroom in September, everything changed. The environment here is very relaxed. Rather than list everything out I thought I’d compare some of the main differences.

Store:
Showroom:
No cell phone usage on the clock
Allowed to use my phone whenever
No wearing of the clothes (unless for store instagram pictures)
I can pretty much wear whatever I want from the sample room as long as I ask/return it
Occasional free food and drinks
Often comped meals, fully stocked kitchen, and frequent office lunches/birthday treats
Timed lunch breaks at dictated time
I take lunch whenever I want for how long I want ( obviously within reason)

It is important to also mention things like sample sales, traveling, and the offices pet fish. It took me a while to adjust to such a relaxed and rule-free environment. The ability to sit, relax and drink some cocoa on the job is still amazing to me. And the free clothes...those I’ll never get use to.
While my job definitely has its perks, I find they come with a price. The relaxed environment sometimes feels just too relaxed for me. The office is made up of mostly 20-30 something year old women. Sometimes I feel like everyone is phone obsessed and gossip hungry. I really don’t feel the need to check my phone all the time or know about so-so’s drama. But I will take this any day over silently typing away in a cubicle, no music, no laughing, and no fun.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, your work environment seems awesome! I am especially jealous that you get to take your lunch break whenever you want. Unfortunately I only get a quick 30 minute lunch break. This barely leaves me time to relax- let alone eat! I agree with your point about the significance of corporate culture for our generation. Prior to working at MJ, I never realized how important this aspect is to your happiness. I am thankful that I get to work in a very open and casual work environment. Although it can be stressful like any job, it is important to feel comfortable at work. I am thrilled to hear you are loving FP! xx

    ReplyDelete