Monday, January 20, 2014

Beyond the Manhattan Bubble

When my boss told me that I didn't have to come into work this Saturday, I made it my mission to make the most out of my weekend. With fashion week just around the corner, my only form of a social life will be watching a 20-minute episode of New Girl accompanied by my favorite chopped salad. Working straight seven days a week is going to be tiring. However, I have upped my vitamin intake to ward off anything getting in my way. Vitamin C anyone?

Street Art in Williamsburg
To make up for my upcoming hectic schedule, I spent the weekend with my work friends and boyfriend exploring various spots in New York and Brooklyn. Williamsburg has quickly become one of my favorite new hang out spots. I enjoyed checking out the funky vintage shops and passing along the beautiful street art. Brooklyn truly feels like it's own little world. I was happy to venture beyond the bubble of Manhattan for the day.

Joakim at Glasslands Gallery
My favorite part of the weekend was accompanying my boyfriend to his first photography gig shooting for Rolling Tuff, a music focused website. The scene was located at Glasslands Gallery, a rustic yet artistic warehouse in Williamsburg. Once arriving inside, we were overcome with disco fever as the DJ spun classic 80s and 90s tracks. You wouldn't typically hear this type of music anymore, especially in this day and age at a New York club, which is why I loved it. As the DJ spun his last track, the main act Joakim took his place on stage. I would classify this artist under the indie/electronic category. His music was upbeat with a unique blend of instrumental and electronic synthesizers. Overall I really enjoyed the night. It is always fun to explore new artists for the first time, as well as new scenes in New York. This weekend showed me how easy it is to get caught up in the bubble of New York, but also how easy it is to escape it. Exploring new territory opened my eyes to new locations and spots I will definitely be frequenting in the weeks to come.

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting way to spend your day off! I NEED to get to Brooklyn ASAP, sounds like an environment I would thrive in. Glad you got to enjoy your short time off, now the work begins! Take all the vitamins you can and stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds right up my alley. I can't believe I have yet to step foot in Brooklyn. And 7 day work weeks? That's kind of bananas. I'm only in the city 3 days a week but I pop gummy vitamins and vitamin C supplements like it's candy...which, in the case of gummy vitamins, it sort of is.

    ReplyDelete