Wednesday, April 9, 2014

50% Irish



Hi Bloggers!
I'm Samantha, a transfer student to Drexel University who was definitely skeptical about the whole idea of co-op until now! In collaboration with our Design and Merchandising major and the International Co-op team, I have been granted an amazing opportunity to go abroad for the first half of my internship.This is my first time out of the United States and it is a slight culture shock! I am in Dublin, Ireland for the next two and a half months and if it were not for immigration laws, I would honestly never leave! (Not that I wouldn't miss Drexel or the fabulous Urban Building!!)
A little fun fact about me: I have never, in my 22 years of living, had my own room; I shared with my amazing little sister for my entire childhood, was put into a forced triple at Ithaca College, and up until recently shared a bedroom in the wonderful University Crossing. However, in my life abroad, I am living in an amazing one bedroom apartment in a part of town called Rathmines. It is about a ten minute walk into City Centre (equivalent to our Center City). Rathmines has a smaller village on one side where my I have claimed as my running route and on the other side of my apartment is a smaller town with a couple pubs, a grocery store, and a couple vintage stores that I spent a lot of time and money in already! I invested in a dress from 1972 and when it comes back from the tailor, I will most definitely post a picture!
The program I am associated with is called EUSA. The team of directors have been nothing but helpful and accommodating. Three other Drexel students are here but we all have different employers. Somehow, I am the only girl but regardless we all were fast friends! It is definitely helpful to hear a familiar accent amongst all this Gaelic talk! 
The people in Ireland are obscenely nice and are always interested in Americans! The locals help us out by sharing the "posh scenes" and reasonable prices! One thing that is completely shocking is the television shows. For starters, there is absolutely no filters for curse words on public channels such as MTV and E! Nudity is allowed and basically encouraged on these reality shows and once the clock hits 21:00 (getting used to military time) all of the commercials are directed towards the risqué adult market.
I have only met my employer once, today for tea and I cannot be more excited to start work. I am interning for a marketing firm called Wild Poppy Concepts. From the meeting today, I have three projects to begin with. The only details I have right now is that one is a beauty line, a wedding dress company, and lastly a bank. I start officially on Monday so I will be able to go in depth then!
Until next time! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sam I'm so happy you're enjoying Ireland!! I can't wait to hear more about your projects as well as your experiences abroad. I know it must be overwhelming to not only move to a completely new country but also begin working. I know you will be super successful and have a blast.

    xo

    ReplyDelete