Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Breaking Barriers

  It has been an eventful week here in the beautiful Dublin! For starters, I have broken my wrist and now have to wear the bulkiest, electric blue cast for next six weeks.It does not match any of my outfits! Here is my ridiculous story:
It was a gorgeous Thursday night when the three Drexel boys arrived at my 'posh flat' in the college populated, Rathmines. We hit a couple pubs and continued on our way, for no reason at all, I was getting a 'piggy-back ride' (shoes did not hurt, I was not tired, just messing around) and the rest is history. Well, the actual act of breaking my wrist happened as I caught my entire body weight on
it as I was falling off of the 6'5 giant. I stayed out that night, attended an EUSA program meeting the next morning, where the boys were telling me to show my blown up wrist in hopes of cutting out short but I sat through the entire, repetitive presentation then directly following the not-so imfortmative session, brought attention to my black and blue lim. I got an earful about how I should have called the EUSA emergency number and several perplexed expressions when the board of directors realized how calm I remained through the entire accident. I genenerally handle pain very well and it takes a lot for me to complain about something. However, as the shock wore off (about two hour into my waiting room experience) I realized this was not normal. The woman that conducted our morning meeting stayed with me through hours of x-rays and castings. The first clinic I went to was extremely clean and modern with very accommodating people. As I was getting my temporary cast, due to the swelling it needed to be softer in order to continue to ice, the doctor told me I had to report to Mater Hospital on Monday morning at seven in the morning to wait to see an orthopedist. At first, I argued that I could not go on Monday, my first official day as the Wild Poppy Concept's intern but both the doctor and program director quickly shut that down. This is when the tears happened. Forget breaking bones, I had to miss the first day of my dream internship, the entire reason I am in this country. This is when I received the second batch of perplexed expressions. Thankfully, my employer is one of the nicest humans I have ever met and insisted she take me to tea that day, if I were feeling up to it. After four hours in the Smithfield Clinic, I had an ugly, soft cast and was on my way to the pharmacy to subside some of this pain.Throughout this mishap, I have learned many interesting things about the Irish healthcare system but nothing shocked me more than being told that codeine is sold over the counter. This confused and scared me because it is such a dangerous substance to tons of junkies I walk by on the streets of Dublin. I did not even think about buying it because I have taken it before in the US following a tonsil surgery and it made me extremely sick. I bought some Advil which does not do much for a broken bone so I have been just dealing with it sans medication. On Monday, as directed against my will, I reported to Mater Hospital, the Fracture Clinic, to wait for a reasonable five hours. You guys would not believe the amount of people that had broken bones this past weekend. I was making small talk with the receptionist, commenting on the business and his response was, 'this is not at all busy'. After being called into to see the orthopedic surgeon, I got my blue cast (I wanted pink but no dice) on and was told to come back in a week to discuss if I need surgery. Tears round two commenced. I will keep you updated on that status but let's hope it is not necessary!!
The only thing this cast is affecting is my outfits! I still am loving this city just with both feet planted
firmly on the ground!
Yesterday was my official first day of work. We do not have a central location, rather we travel to our clients. For the next couple of weeks, I am working with the Credit Union as we launch their new website and social media sites. The projects I am directly working on are paralleled to Computers for Design and Merchandising. I love how much I already knew going into these projects from our courses. I like working at different branches of the bank because I get to meet new people everyday. I am also learning the Irish banking system in the process.
This weekend, my older sister, Kaitie is coming to visit me. We booked our flights to Brussels and train to Amsterdam. Excited is an understatement!

Waving with a blue cast!
 

2 comments:

  1. Sam!!

    I cannot believe you managed to get yourself in a cast after just two weeks in Dublin! Only you. :) I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about the whole ordeal and aren't letting it keep you down! Enjoy exploring Europe with you sister this weekend, take lots of pictures as we will all want to see them next week!

    xo
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha,

    I read this and was in shock! I can't believe that happened, it sounds like you had a little bit of bad luck. I am glad you're staying positive and were able to get the care you needed! If nothing else, this will most likely be a funny story when you are looking backing on it! Good luck and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete