Monday, April 14, 2014

The Importance of Juggling

One of the main life lessons that I have learned over the past three years at Drexel is about balance. Juggling school, extracurriculars, jobs, and a social life can be a tricky task. As a driven young woman, being busy comes naturally for me and I’m always volunteering to lead a committee or take on an extra project. Of course this is a great attitude to have, but I have learned, especially lately, how important it is to have time to relax.

As the Greek Week chair for my sorority, Delta Zeta, the past week of activities was the culmination of months of planning. Yesterday marked the last event of Greek Week and I’m extremely proud to say that my sorority came in second place! It’s a strange feeling to not have a few pressing emails on the back burner in my mind. Just as quickly as I finish one project I take on another. I just applied for a part time retail job to supplement my diminishing bank account. Commuting ain’t cheap!

I also am a Rho Gamma for Fall Formal Recruitment 2014, which basically means ‘disassociating’ from my sorority for the summer to act as a sort of guide for the incoming freshmen/upperclassmen looking to go greek this fall. I am SO excited to begin working with the other panhellenic women and to take on this new experience. This past weekend we had our first meeting. As an icebreaker were to tell the room what our spirit animal was and why. I said I was a bird because I have to wake up at the crack of dawn and migrate to New York three days a week.

On top of my Drexel commitments I write fashion and beauty articles for a blog called Makeoverly.com. As a startup company it is amazing to watch the site grow and shift as we figure out our target readers and their wants and needs. It’s quite a different approach than that of Michael Kors, where everyone understands the target customer inside and out.

It looks like a lot on paper but after three years at Drexel I’ve become a pro juggler. Balancing is easy as long as you remember to make time for yourself. I try to take at least one day a week to relax. I usually spend it outside, walking around Philly with my boyfriend, or getting lunch with my girlfriends. This coming weekend I will be heading home to spend Easter with my family.

Until next week!
xo

2 comments:

  1. Amelia,

    I completely understand what you're talking about! You know that I am a student athlete and I have heard a lot about all of the work you do for your sorority and other organizations. I commend you for being able to keep it together! I'm sure your schedule goes on its ups and downs. I've found that the key is to just take it one day at a time and make lists! Crossing things off my to do list feels great and helps me keep everything straight. I know you're a pro though and probably have it all figured out! Good luck!

    - Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overwhelming, I'm sure. yet, when it is all over I know it will be well worth the streeful workload. Congrats on being a Rho Gamma! That really is a great honor. As a member of the greek community, I understand how stressful Greek Week is. Multitasking is a great skill to master, and it seems like you have!

    ReplyDelete