Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bright Lights Big City

Hello All!

Before beginning my Co-op story I want to introduce myself. My name is Amelia Holliday and I am a Junior Design and Merchandising student at Drexel. I'm involved in a number of student orgs on campus including Relay for Life and Delta Zeta sorority and just love to be busy. I'm originally from a small New England town about 45 minutes outside of Boston which has definitely shaped who I am today. I have five brothers and sisters, two of which live in England. Visiting the North Sea and my family across the Atlantic is one of my favorite things in the entire world. I love adventures and have always dreamed of working in New York, which I'm well on the way of doing now!

This past week I began what will become my three day a week ritual for the next six months. I am Co-oping at Michael Kors in the Creative Services department. It is an amazing feeling to be able to work at one of the top lifestyle brands in America, let alone one of my personal favorites!

Beginning my first day at 4:30, my train left just before 6am. I wanted to make sure I got to the office promptly at 9:15am. I laid out the perfect first day outfit in advance the night before and packed a bag of daily necessities (iPhone charger, wallet, pens, notebook, snacks). The first day consisted of meeting with HR and getting an oh so official intern card to give me access to the MK floors, meeting the creative services team as well as bonding with the other interns. As the only Drexel intern it has been so fascinating to meet other young women with similar career goals as me attending different schools. They were all shocked to find out I'm commuting the two and a half hours to the City three days a week.

After my first day I was exhausted. I had to run to catch my train and got a little lost on the way. New York seems foreign and confusing compared to my familiar Philly blocks. I'm sure as I explore the City more I'll get more familiar.

I'm excited to see what I will experience next here at MK, for now I'm enjoying learning from the other interns as well as watching the amazing things the Creative Services team is accomplishing!

xo

3 comments:

  1. Amelia, I am so happy you a landed a Co-Op that seems perfect for you! Throughout the classes we've had together you have worked so hard to be creative and innovative, and now it's wonderful that you will be able to bring that to the MK team. I think that commuting is the right choice for you because you are so close with your DZ family at Drexel. You'll be able to experience the benefits of both working in NY and living with your friends. I am looking forward to keeping up with your blog and your Co-Op journey! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ameila, I can picture your mannerisms while reading this post!! I am so impressed by your commute, I am not sure I could handle that! MK is absolutely a personal favorite of mine as well. I cannot wait to hear more about your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelica, best of luck! Michael Kors is an amazing co-op and I am sure you are getting great experience! I know a few girls who worked there in the fall and absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete