Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wild Poppy Craziness

As the only intern for the privately owned Wild Poppy Concepts, I seem to be having an extremely different experience than those of you who work with a complete team. My daily routine is walk to my boss's house, sit in her living room with her on our laptops, and work on our separate projects with minimal conversation until lunch time when she cooks for me and we converse as if we are the best of friends. I adore Michelle and could not have asked for a better placement from my EUSA program.

Michelle has had interns before but had a couple at a time so this is her first one on one experience as well. After spending a couple weeks together, the silence, while working, has become the norm unless I have a question or she finds a teaching moment. Lunch is my favorite time of the day, not only because I get to experience home cooked Irish meals, but also because this is when the professional barriers come down and I have the privilege of learning about her more personal past and opinions. She offers me advice in my life as well as gives me her perspective on hers. I feel like we have a good working balance and routine down because we are quiet when tasks are due but then know when to enjoy ourselves.

I run my own projects which tells me that Michelle trusts my judgement and professionalism towards  her paying clients. I am currently reworking a campaign for a beauty line which taps into my creative side and lets my brain relax from the Credit Union formalness. Like I mentioned last week, we are also working with a wedding dress company and about four other clients Michelle is working with on the side.

The constant jumping in between tasks and companies keeps me on my toes but I cannot complain. I have built relationships with each client and it is obvious just how much they trust Michelle's judgement. I cannot argue with them there, she has proven herself through a number of successful campaigns and does not have the profit seeking attitude that many larger firms have. One thing that I have learned from her this short into my experience is that if your name is on something, it better be the best possible version or you may as well throw it away.

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    Hearing your daily ritual seems crazy compared to my life as in intern! I can't imagine my supervisor cooking me a meal or working in her living room. It's great that you get a chance to probe her about her experiences as I know that type of info is invaluable.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete