Tuesday, January 13, 2015

3 Down and 3 To Go

         It is crazy how fast the time has gone by! My time in New York is already half over and I know these next three months are going to go just as fast as the first. I have been working at Rebecca Taylor in the PR department since September, and it has honestly been an overall wonderful experience. First, my office over looks Bryant Park, it could not be more beautiful! Second, I’ve quickly become so obsessed with Rebecca Taylor and all her designs; everyone should check her out. My time so far has been crazy busy and the days fly by as I’m dealing with the samples, talking with editors, reporting, and much more.

         Let me tell you about my first few weeks at Rebecca Taylor. So, I have two “bosses” the PR director and the PR coordinator, and on my first day the PR coordinator decided to give her two weeks. At first this didn’t seem like a big deal to me, but I quickly learned that working for a smaller company where your department consists of only two people plus interns, losing that one person makes life tough. After my first week at the company learning the collections and the systems the PR director turns to me, laughs, and asks me if I want to be the stand-in PR coordinator. I was so excited, I didn’t exactly know what this would entail, but I was thrilled for this responsibility. So the two weeks are up and I am going to be the officially the PR coordinator that following Monday. I’m starting to freak out a little now, I’ve only been here for two weeks and am just starting to really get the hang of everything and know all the collections well. On top of just having started at the company, my workload was about to double as I take on this new role. Come Monday I’m fully emerged in the PR chaos!

          This lasted for about 1 ½ months before we hired someone new, and as stressful and exhausting as it was I couldn’t be more grateful that it happened. I got to do things no other intern would have gotten to do. I got the chance to talk directly with editors, meet them in person, brainstorm with my boss to come up with new ideas and directions, etc. I was forced to learn fast and move forward with this company because they weren’t slowing down for me. Moral of the story, don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. What happened to me was such a blessing in disguise, but it gave me an even more real feel of what the industry is like and that is what co-op is for, right? J


1 comment:

  1. Congrats!! That's so exciting! Piperlime is one of our clients and they carry Rebecca Taylor and she has such beautiful clothing! I'm obsessed with her upcoming collection. You have to let me know when she has a sample sale coming up. Working in PR is very stressful but fun all at the same time. I'm glad you're enjoying the PR world as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete