Monday, January 26, 2015

Sample Sale Madness

One of my favorite parts about living in New York City are the designer sample sales. I didn't even know these things existed but I can say that my life is surely better now that I am in the know. Almost every New York based designer holds a yearly or seasonal sample sale where they sell all of their samples, extra stock, pre productions samples, etc. for 70-90% off the retail price. Unfortunately for my wallet, there is a warehouse right next to my office where a lot of the good sample sales are held. I usually find myself there before work, at lunch, or after work shopping around for these designer items that are so cheap I feel like I am getting away with something. My closet is now full of designer clothes I could never afford to buy at full price, no one has to know my Alexander Wang bag wasn't straight off the shelf at Bergdorfs ;)

A few months ago Derek Lam had their sample sale. My department didn't have anything to do with the set up of it but I heard the women in logistics talking about unpacking all of the boxes, ticketing all of the merchandise and all of this work they had to do. So, I went ahead and asked if I could help out over the weekend before it started on Monday, they were ecstatic that I was willing to lend a hand. The next day I spent the entire day unpacking, hanging, folding, organizing, and at the end, I had to count every single item that we had out; it came to about 4,000 pieces. At the end of the day I was exhausted and I still had no idea how this was going to be open to the public in just two days, there was still a lot of work to be done. I came in the next two days as well and it really started to all come together. I had a blast hanging out with the other Derek Lam employees who I usually don't get to work with. The blessing that came at the end of this hard working weekend was that I got to take home any 5 items I wanted. I felt like a kid in a candy shop.

5 comments:

  1. Sample sales are the best and most dangerous if you don't have money to spend. That is great you got to help out with the Derek Lam sample sale and getting a few frees samples at the end of it all is awesome! I have no doubt organizing the whole thing is a ton of work, and they seemed to truly appreciate your willingness to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sample sales as well. My mother is in the industry so she often times takes me with her (thank god because I am broke). It seems like you had a really difficult but great learning experience. I think it is awesome that you just volunteered to help out and they said yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always seen signs for sample sales but never took the time to stop and look inside because I was never really sure what they were or if it was a scam. But, after reading this piece I'm definitely stoping next time!! I think its great that you took the initiative to ask if you could help because many people would not and I'm sure it was a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so amazing that you got to take home 5 pieces. I'm so jealous about the Alexander Wang bag. It's such a good idea to lend a hand to projects you know need help. I'm sure they were so thankful for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sample sales are a great way to get great clothes at a discounted price! SO far I've only been to a sample sale at Urban Outfitters courtesy of my sister who works at the head quarters. But the sample sales you describe are even more amazing! I think its great that you helped at the Derek Lam sample sale and got to experience all the effort that goes in to them!

    ReplyDelete