Thursday, August 22, 2013

NYC Finds

A few weeks ago I made the trek down to an area of NYC called Tribeca to visit a friend after work. I had never been to that part of the city but had always heard that it was a great area (lots of families live there). Getting down to that area included a lot of walking but didn't end up being as complicated as I thought it would be.

After making it down there, we decided to walk along the water to enjoy the beautiful afternoon. After walking for a while we ended up stumbling upon a pier with lots of outdoor activities, which is something you hardly ever find in NYC. This area had the only mini golf course in Manhattan, volleyball courts, a skate park and a mini soccer field. I felt like I had hit the jackpot and knew that I had to play a round of mini golf.

While I do love Manhattan, it was nice to be in the city but feel a thousand miles away for an hour or so. Here are some pictures of the golf course- you can see small images of the city high rises in the background. Also, here is a link to the mini golf course and the pier where all of this is located: http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/explore-the-park/activities/mini-golf. Being on co-op for six months it is easy to feel a tad homesick, especially since NYC is completely different than any other city in the US. Like I said in my first post, it is extremely important to find comforts from home or activities that allow you to mentally escape the city for a while. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with needing an escape from the city every once in a while, whether it be mental or physical. In the working world, it is nice to have an escape no matter where you are, however, city life can be just as demanding and harsh as a job. I have been living in the suburbs for the past 5 months surrounded by family so it is like we are in two opposite worlds. I never get sick of being surrounded by nature and clean(ish) air, but I do miss being able to walk everywhere and explore in the city as much of what you need is consolidated in a short distance, and there's always something new to find just as you did. As excited as I am to move back into the city, I know it will be an adjustment! Good thing we have another month to mentally prepare!

    ReplyDelete