Sunday, March 16, 2014

Building Relationships

As this term has been coming to an end, my Independent Study experience teaching Visual Arts to 6th and 7th grade students in West Philly seems so surreal, my co-ordinator exclaims that she feels like she has finally been able to communicate with the students better. I am not only delighted that my co-ordinator has found a way to grab the student’s attention but also upset that I’m going to leave all the students soon. During class, every student was told to complete at least three flowers made from tissue paper or three skyscraper/buildings made from colored construction paper as props for the billboard. I believed that the day went pretty successfully because once some of the students had finished they requested to work on more while only a few of the 7th grade students decided not to participate.

Towards the end of the day, I learned that students in this particularly middle school display their affection towards one another in a way I have never seen or experienced before in my life. If a guy likes a girl or has a crush on her in the same class he would find a physical way to grab the girl’s attention. For example, a very shy 6th grade boy threw a pencil at a girl’s head just to get her attention. Multiple fights between middle school guys and girls have occurred and everyone in the vicinity will just laugh like it was not a big deal at all. I really hope that someday in the future they understand that starting fights with people is not the best way to show affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment