Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Worth it

An unintentional shrine to Miuccia; tying up some pretty packages

Sometimes, mostly on exceptionally trying days like the ones I had last week, I find myself wondering if this is all worth it. "This," of course, being the following: waking up at 5:15 in the morning and not being able to go to sleep any earlier than midnight; spending 12 hours a week on a bus; working in a clothing store all weekend instead of relaxing so that I can afford to commute three days week; staring at InDesign until 11 at night so that the Style section of the newspaper layout is done in time for our printer's deadline; fielding emails from writers for the magazine and trying to explain nicely how the editors have the final say in their captions or their titles; not hearing from my Hong Kong group members until the night before our assignment is due; realizing only 10 minutes before Multimedia: Space class that I don't have half of the materials I needed for this week's installation because I didn't have time to go to CVS; eating another giant bowl of quinoa or rolled oats and an apple for dinner because I didn't have time to go to the grocery store; declining another Friday night outing with friends because my bus doesn't get in until 8:30 at night. 

Then, some really spectacular moments occur, like one did on Tuesday. Last week marked the Fall/Winter 2014 Miu Miu show in Paris, and only days later we received some preliminary lookbooks in our office. These smaller, spiral books were bound in a soft pink textured cover, and while each look was numbered, there were no items names, product numbers or color codes. I was instructed by the press assistant to package a number of lookbooks in a very specific manner: first, I wrapped them in soft grey tissue paper. Then, I placed them in a tiny Miu Miu bag, and I tied the handles with two bows of custom Miu Miu ribbon. That's when I noticed the handwritten notes attached to each book. "Dear Anna...", "Dear Grace...", "Dear Virginia...". The press assistant passed me a larger bag and said to put three of the books in it, for the Vogue girls. I'm sure my eyes popped out of my head because he chuckled a little and told me to personally address three labels to three very important women in the Conde Nast building. I was tempted to slip in a fan-girl love note to Grace, confessing my adoration for her visionary talents as well as her British sass, but I managed to restrain myself. I knew that this was grunt work, but I still find myself getting starstruck by all of the influential people I'm surrounded by who before only existed in an unattainable, far away place called "the fashion industry."

Some days, I feel like PR really isn't for me, and it weighs on my conscience. I'm interested in more than just a name on my resume, I want a fulfilling experience. I realized last week, exhausted and on the verge of a minor meltdown, that I have too much on my plate. One person should know better than to do everything that I'm doing and expect to stay sane, or even expect to get a full night's sleep. But deep down inside, I know I would regret not working on all of the projects I'm involved in. If I don't make some sacrifices and give it my all, I'll never get where I want to be. Then, when I get to touch the same lookbook Grace Coddington may or may not also touch, it makes me realize I'm one step closer than I was yesterday to working in the offices at Vogue.

P.S. One of the other interns didn't even know who Anna Wintour was. Who is she and WHY is she here???

No comments:

Post a Comment