Saturday, March 8, 2014

Scrubbin' It

As a college student with a measly paycheck, I am always looking at how and where I can save a dollar or two. I am highly enthusiastic when I can get something for free and oftentimes my friends make fun of me for how excited or determined I can be to do so. My roommate's sister was recently over and was telling me how she makes her own body scrubs, washes, and lotions from all-natural ingredients and I immediately became interested. As a vegetarian who is eco-conscious I consistently try to buy organic when I can afford to do so as I know the future of my health depends on my diet which ultimately is my own choice. It is important for me to buy products with the least and most natural ingredients as possible. I love watching documentaries to learn more about how I can live better by what I choose to put in and outside of my body. It inspires and motivates me in particularly to stay vegetarian and be conscious of not only what I am eating but how it is packaged, how that affects the product inside it, and how that ultimately can affect my own body and the environment. 

One of our assignments for Visual Merchandising was to create product for the D&M Valentine's Day shop. Inspired by my roommate's sister's scrubs and short on cash, I decided to make my own scrubs for the shop. Combining recipes online and tips from my friends, I gathered ingredients from my own kitchen and got crafty. I only had to buy a couple ingredients which totaled around $10. I made a couple different scrubs from varying recipes and they were a hit. I tried them out for myself and instantly fell in love. The smell is all-natural because the ingredients are authentic and pure. No chemicals, no dyes, no problems. Included is a recipe for my favorite scrub that I came up with. The scrubs are great because the oils moisturize and the sugar exfoliates, it is a 2 in 1 delicacy. I highly recommend to take some time out of your day and ingredients out of your cabinet and try these all-natural scrubs for yourself! I store mine in small mason jars and use them about twice a week and my skin feels great.

Try a small batch with the recipe below, and feel free to swap a different oil or use sea salt instead of sugar. I usually triple the recipe for a regular amount (8 oz. mason jar).

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil

1 teaspoon tea tree oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

No comments:

Post a Comment