Monday, March 10, 2014

Patience is Key

Working with students for my Independent Study has been an eye-opening experience for me. I cannot express the gratitude and thanks for the patience and understanding of all of my teachers that have taught me. On Tuesday, I conveniently bumped into my coordinator on the bus. I gathered the materials from the art room and the supply closet once I arrived as usual. I asked one of the students to lay and glue the sneakers onto the yellow backdrop. I was amazed by how quickly he finished the task because he has always seemed very uninterested in art. He always appeared to be an introvert in class but he is unlike most other students his age because he was able to visually capture a mental image of the design in his head with simple instructions. A new 7th grade student came to class and he was assigned to work on the bicycle project where he drew incredible skylines for the backdrop. As we were working in the hallway for a change, two 6th grade students (a girl and a boy) got into a fight in the hallway which slightly terrified me.

I was asked to begin and the lead the class by myself on Thursday. I tried my best to split the 6th and 7th grade students to work on the projects. Unfortunately, most of the 7th graders were more interested in talking with one another than working on the project. The 6th graders felt like the project was incomplete because they wanted to add flowers for decoration. The term is coming to an end so I had to remind them that next week was our last week to finish the class. I assigned them each a task to complete next week so hopefully we will be more on track with the class.

Working with these students taught me how to work in a group setting. Sometimes unexpected things may pop up and hinder the process or sometimes there may be internal arguments within the group members but I learned that at the end of the day I just have to be patience and try my best to complete the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment