Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mini Vacation

 I was lucky enough to have a long weekend which I spent in Vermont visiting friends.  My boyfriend and I spent almost five hours in the car trekking through mountains to Dummerston, a town in the southeast region of Vermont, only about five minutes from the boarder of New Hampshire.  On the towns main road, we were completely surprised and amused to see that there was a KFC, Taco Bell, and Dunkin Donuts,  we knew we were still in civilization.  Our friends live in a house on the top of a 600 acre apple orchard, it was beautiful even covered in snow and ice.  Oddly enough, Vermont didn't seem that cold nor did it look like it had an abnormal amount of snow considering the winter we have been through down here in Philly.  My boyfriend and I are not really skiers, so while everyone spend Saturday skiing, we spent it exploring.  We were extremely eager to try some New England Clam Chowder in New England and found a restaurant that overlooked a lake, the views were beautiful; then again, everywhere you looked in Vermont was beautiful.  With out much instruction of where to go we drove around and stumbled upon a farm that made cheese and had tastings, this was exactly what I wanted to do while I was in Vermont.  Already stuffed from lunch, I proceeded to stuff my face more with tons and tons of delicious Vermont Cheddar, but hey I was on vacation, calories don't count.  After finally eating more cheese than I could imagine and spending more money than I wanted too, we walked across the street to a frozen lake where we saw people ice fishing! I had never walked on a frozen lake so I was a little hesitant but hey when in Rome! Overall, I loved getting away to a remote area with such a different lifestyle than mine here in Philly.  I feel like I had a vacation that didn't last long enough! 

1 comment:

  1. Though I am used to correlating the word vacation with a mental image of sunshine and tropical beaches, any time off from a hectic work schedule seems like a vacation! Looking at the images and reading your post it seems like you had a great time. The picture of the authentic clam chowder looks so good right about now, seems like a perfect meal for the cold weather. I would not want to travel to Vermont for the snow as I am quite ready for Spring to begin, however imagining the delicious Vermont cheddar does make it tempting!

    ReplyDelete