Saturday, March 8, 2014

Never Stop Learning

It is starting to really sink in that I only have two weeks left at Marc Jacobs. I have learned more than I could ever imagine and gained useful skills that I will carry over into my future jobs. Although I have just a few weeks left, I am still given new tasks and responsibilities. This has made work a continuous challenge and joy. There is always something new to learn and a new task to accomplish.

Specifically, I am now responsible for airbrushing all of the fabrics per style/look. This is a huge responsibility, so I am honored that I was trusted to take on this project. At first I was very uneasy about it, but in time I have learned to really love it. When it comes to this job, I have to be EXTREMELY precise and careful. When fabric needs to be airbrushed, my boss will hand me all of the patterns with appropriate fabric, and of course the cutters must. From here I am able to look through the patterns, and find the fabric pieces I need to airbrush. Certain spots on the fabric need to be airbrushed, and each fabric color has a different airbrush color. In order to find what color I need to airbrush, I refer to the combo book. A combo book is filled with every possible color combinations for a style. Once I am certain what the combo color is, I mix the paint to match it. It has to be a perfect match; otherwise the completed garment will be different than the others.



As you can see from the pictures above, I have to use the airbrush gun to create an ombre on the garment. For the organza fabric, it is much easier to create an ombre effect. However with the wool fabric, every little mistake shows up. Thankfully with some scraps of fabric I was able to practice and build up my confidence. However, no matter how often I airbrush a garment it is still a nail-biting experience. Regardless, I love a challenge and new project. I am happy that I was able to take on this new project even though I will be leaving in a few weeks. My boss gave me a valuable piece of advice last night, and I could not agree more with her. She told me to always challenge myself, and to never stop learning. I have learned from this experience and my mentors to never doubt my abilities and myself. Even though something seems intimidating, stepping outside of my comfort zone has taught me so much about myself. Overall, I am eager to explore the future ahead and to continue challenging myself.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you're doing a great job and learning so much in the process! The photos look awesome, one of the best feelings truly is to surprise yourself with your abilities, especially when learning something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opportunities you are receiving at Marc Jacobs sound amazing. I bet it's an amazing feeling to see garments that you helped create walk down a runway in front of some of the most important people in the fashion world.

    ReplyDelete