Thursday, May 15, 2014

Receiving Feedback

This week at Wild Poppy Concepts, we have been doing some updating to our own brand. It is interesting to see the similarities and difference when working for someone else's company as compared to Michelle working on her own branding. There are many of the same conversations and planning that surrounds the selected content and appearance. I drafted the initial content for the website under Michelle's request and specific tabs she wanted to develop on the home page. Then, due to my American style writing and sayings, she went through and changed spelling of words (realize=realise, color=colour) like many other pieces that I submit to her. Early on in the development of our relationship, she hesitantly explained to me that corrections would have to be made to anything that I submitted not because she did not like the way I wrote the specific assignment but because of my background as compared to her target market. I reassured her that I would not be offended at all, after all I am working for her and am just appreciative that I get the chance to put in my feedback at all. The praise I receive for my work here is nothing I am used to while attending the prestigious Drexel University Design and Merchandising major and something that I cannot allow myself to get used to because at my next internship in Manhattan (Krupp Group) I guarantee the compliments will be few and far between. I have this laid back atmosphere for another five weeks so I need to soak it all in!
 
I am learning many areas of marketing that I did not even know existed until it was right in front of me. Dealing with clients can be very rewarding but also very frustrating in my terms but Michelle does not let  the difficult clients get to her. She simply takes their feedback and rolls with it. I need to learn to be more laidback when it comes to criticism and just accept when someone does not agree with my ideas. My boss is a textbook example of a self assured business woman, when I say I am learning more than I expected to, I mean in all aspects of life.
 
Heading to Cork this weekend to kiss the Blarney Stone. Not like our local UC bar, the actual stone! Cannot wait to write about it next week!
 
Blue cast wave for six more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment