Thursday, July 2, 2015

So This is What They Meant

Four years ago I had to make the tough decision as to where I was going to go to college. This is a big decision, it is not only about the studies but it is about where you are going to live, create a new life. There was no college I wanted to go to so when I got accepted to Drexel with a scholarship basically my decision was made. I did not understand why everyone said they decided to enroll at Drexel for the co-op program. Being young and not thinking that far in the future, I did not see how important an internship would be. 
It was not until I had my interviews in A round that I realized this is the time to practice, prepare, and learn for the future when I go to start my career. I got lucky and had the most amazing interview with my future boss. The interview was unlike the others, we talked as if we knew each other forever. She saw my talents and know what I am capable of by looking at my resume, she wanted to know if I had the right personality, humor, politeness that would fit in with the other employees. Talking with her was so much fun I knew I found my job.
I became the assistant buyer for Barnes & Noble at Drexel University. This is when I understood what the other students meant when they claimed they enrolled at Drexel for the co-op. My official co-op terms were this previous fall and winter but I loved it so much I now stay as a part-time employee. The co-op provided me with best friends, allowed me to network and learn about other possible career paths, and work in retail for the first time. I finally found out what I wanted to aspire to be, a planner. This helped determine the rest of my terms as an undergraduate. I now am taking classes to reach my career goal and make time to be able to work because I love my job. My co-op story is not over, and I am so happy to be able to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment