Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Uniqlo’s merchandising strategy



Uniqlo’s merchandising strategy and how they merchandise the store- by gender, by color, by category  


So Uniqlo as some may or may not know UNIQLO used to be a unisex casual clothing company under the name "Unique Clothing Warehouse". The contraction of "unique clothing" is what created the name Uniqlo. Now of course, the clothing is not so much unisex as there are complete lines for men, women and kids. Our Philadelphia store is comprised of four floors for men, women, kids and our main floor combining our new items for men and women and the exciting, special SPRZ NY collection, which is a new collaboration with MoMa.

As far as merchandising strategy, Uniqlo's brand is known as being all inclusive. The main tagline is MADE FOR ALL, that is why they emphasize on basics. Most of the clothing garments are able to reach all ages, genders, styles, social settings. And the brand is more than just clothing, they are referred to as life wear. The brand touches on different areas of life in general, as previously mention in another post there are apps that UNIQLO offers in the app store that aid in everyday life.

Color ordering is a another major strategy that UNIQLO leverages in their merchandising. We are taught a certain color order when displaying clothing (typically light to dark). As this adds major visual appeal. Below you can see how we display certain items, in a particular color order.






As far as category, we separate clothing by styles and operation. So for our women’s floor which is the floor I work on, we have zones and each zone is for a different clothing purpose. We are fortunate to have a very large space to work with so our store definitely differs from others. We have our main campaign clothing usually whatever is new or being pushed at the moment. That is always the first thing you see when you get to women’s floor, next is our business wear and contemporary clothing. Then you have denim and then innerwear and lastly our loungewear.

3 comments:

  1. I have never been into Uniqlo in Philadelphia yet. Since I am doing my co-op in New York City I have not had a chance to stop in and take a look for myself. The way the store is merchandised seems to match the asthetic of the brand itself which is good. It seems like the store is very organized and easy to get around. I look forward to checking out the store when I get back to Philadelphia in September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always seen and heard of UNIQLO, but I never understood it. To be quite honest, I thought it was odd. This post completely changes my mind! Thank you so much for sharing your insight. "Made for all" is a perfect explanation of the brand. When observing the stores from the outside, I was so confused as to why they had such basic silhouettes in a whole bunch of colors. I didn't see the excitement. But hearing that the brand aims to create clothes for nearly everyone makes me understand the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love store like UNIQLO where the visual merchandising is so neat and organized. I love looking at the stacks of clothes that are all color coded. It's a super calming store for people like me who are obsessed with organization.

    ReplyDelete