Thursday, July 30, 2015

URBAN

This past Tuesday my professor brought the class to Urban Outfitters Headquarters in the Navy Yard, all the way south Philadelphia. This is the same location Drexel hosts the fashion show. I was never able to make it to the fashion shows the past few years so this was very exciting to me. In our industry we get the privilege of being able to work in amazing, unique, creative spaces. This is how I would describe UO headquarters. 

Class is beneficial and does teach us many things but nothing is better than physically being out in the field. 

The Urban Outfitters Headquarters basically looked like a giant version of their store. Their brand has such a clear sense of style that they portray through everything; clothing and even work offices. It is a space one can feel comfortable and I believe it provokes creativity. Not only was the building UO style, but every single person looked like they just walked out of an UO magazine. I know working on the field in retail it is important to wear the brand you are representing, but these people wear UO clothing like their professional models and their picture is going to be taken any moment. Being physically at the center of UO changed my view of the company. I have always loved them, but being intimidated by these models and meeting some of the employees I have decided I will absolutely not be working at UO. It seems like a dream job but being there and talking with the people, I knew this is not the company for me. And that is why I say nothing is better than physically being out in the field. Co-op and visiting corporations allow you to see behind the scenes, what the place truly is like, how the fellow employees personalities are, helping you learn what works for you and what doesn't.

You must sign in at the desk where they have iPads on yellow stands that take your name, take your picture (really fast, I didn't even realize it was taken) and prints your name card within second

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool that you guys were able to go to their headquarters, and that the work space mirrors their store. I plan on taking a trip their soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Urban Outfitters headquarters. It is so welcoming and seems like such a cool and relaxing work enviroment. I am glad that you got to do that with your class, it is a fun experience to be in the field and learn that way as you mentioned above!

    ReplyDelete