Monday, October 22, 2012

Contacts & Connections


It has been drilled into your mind from professors, parents, co-workers, and peers. It is not something we all look forward to and sometimes it is straining. It can be done almost anywhere with just about anyone. This “it” that I am referring to is networking.

Networking is the key to having job opportunities. Unfortunately I have learned that it is not always about how hard you worked in school or even what spectacular skills you possess; without the right contacts you won't go far at all. I know this to be true because every job or career opportunity I have ever had arose from networking. It didn't matter that I had a LinkedIn account, that I endlessly emailed and called people (I emailed and called one woman 14 times and never heard a response), or that I applied to jobs online. It took a very personal connection to get my foot in the door.

Take for example my first job as a sales associate at Nordstrom. The fashion industry prefers people with a background in retail so I knew I had to get some experience in customer service working at a store. I wanted a job that would be a great learning experience, preferably something that paid more than minimum wage, and a brand that I was proud of so I could easily sell the merchandise. Fortunately, one of my sorority sisters was working at Nordstrom and offered to put me in contact with her boss, as well as putting in a few good words for me. After getting the job, I learned that Nordstrom never hires someone without prior retail experience (like myself) and it was because of my connection that I got the position.

My second working experience, my internship at Philadelphia Magazine, also came about through a connection. The position was listed in Drexel's database for Co-Op job listings but I feel that I received the great opportunity because of a connection with another sorority sister that previously worked here. It is nice to think that a diverse resume and an enjoyable interview is enough to get you the job, but I strongly believe that the recommendation of this sister went a long way.

Finally, my other part time internship with the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce came about because of yet again, another sorority sister. I reached out to the International President of my sorority, who happens to be the head of human resources at the Chamber, in hopes that something was available in the office. I figured it could not hurt to ask and to my benefit, asking was all it took!

Going on about the importance of reaching out to people, networking, and taking chances might seem a bit dull but it has been my key to gaining opportunities. And even now, I currently have my eye on a few opportunities that I hope to make happen in the near future. May the odds, and contacts I hope to make, be in my favor!

1 comment:

  1. I agree you can network anywhere! I got my first internship with QVC because my dad met the Director of Global Sourcing on a plane ride and she pushed my resume to HR. How insane is that? I think it's also important to present yourself positively and professionally anywhere because you really never know who you'll meet that can help you or know of someone that can.

    ReplyDelete