Monday, October 8, 2012

How I Became Polished Mollie

     The road to becoming Polished Mollie started on an ordinary day in the retail world. As I laid on the floor of the store, clumsily trying to maneuver an electric drill to fasten shelves into the wall, I overheard my coworkers talking to a client about her fashion blog. Vittoria, the founder of the lifestyle confidence blog Polished for Pennies, exuded such a confidence that made everyone in the store want to interact with her. After we all complemented her hair, makeup, style, and general loveliness, she asked to take our photo. My two coworkers and I were slightly hesitant, and asked why Vittoria wanted our picture.
     Vittoria then went on to explain the concept behind the Give-a-Penny feature on her blog. She believes that confidence is contagious, so when someone compliments her, she takes their photo and compliments them back on her blog. I was immediately excited about this idea. The more I learned about this blog, the more I was intrigued. This seemed to be more than just your average street-style blog. Polished for Pennies is about empowering women with the confidence to appreciate other powerful women. It's about making the best of your financial situation. It's about camaraderie amongst women and our strive to look and feel our best. In a nutshell, Polished for Pennies is about "looking, feeling, and living like a million bucks on a few shiny pennies". 
     I responded very strongly to what Polished for Pennies is promoting, and couldn't let Vittoria leave the store without asking to be a part of it. I expressed my interest in interning for her blog, and we exchanged information. When we met up shortly after for my interview, I was happy to hear that she loved my forwardness. As most people in the fashion industry know, it's not what you know but who you know. Vittoria explained that she has made it to where she is today mostly not only because of her talent, ambition, and drive, but because she goes after what she wants and is constantly seeking out opportunities. It's ironic, because that is exactly what I did in order to land this internship with her. 
     Stay tuned to hear about what I've been doing in my role as Digital Content Creator of Polished for Pennies! In the meantime, check out Polished for Pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment