Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why Being D&M Sets Us Apart


Being a Design and Merchandising major, I have not yet had the opportunity to work within a department such as Public Relations with any of my jobs or internships thus far. Now that I am interning in the BCBGMAXAZRIA P.R. department, it has really opened my eyes to a whole new aspect of the fashion world. I have come to realize that within the fashion industry, several other skill sets and business related backgrounds are completely intertwined with what we do.
I had initially thought as a Design major I would struggle within the P.R. department because I have never worked in that segment of the industry before or been trained to do so. However, over time my skills as a designer and merchandiser have helped me succeed in several tasks and be recognized by my supervisors for excelling in these areas.
One of the most interesting and successful projects I recently worked on was a massive donation to a charity which holds fashion auctions to raise funds for those affected by HIV/AIDS. Our P.R. department had agreed to donate five hundred pieces to the cause. Initially I had just been asked to lay out what seemed like endless boxes of jewelry onto the table in an organized manner and to take a count of it all. Because of my background in merchandising, I naturally laid out the jewelry by category, and then arranged it by color and then size. About half-way into it, the Vice President of P.R. told me she was thrilled with the way I had laid things out, and I was given the responsibility of the entire project.
Over the next few days I counted, merchandised, and packed up all of the jewelry. Since then, my supervisors have utilized my skills in visuals and given me several more opportunities. I was asked to merchandise the accessories wall in the showroom, including the handbags and jewelry displays. I also was given the opportunity to work with the visual team in the show rooms yesterday, as today was our big press preview. Overall, I feel that working in the P.R. department has not only taught me a whole another side of the industry, it has also given me the chance to utilize and be recognized for my unique skill set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment