Saturday, October 6, 2012



“You speak softly and carry a loud bag.”- This phrase is apart of J.Crew’s fall ad campaign that was seen in September issues across the country. It is also hanging on my wall because I feel it expresses how I am feeling about my Co-op right now.
I am a creative girl, a design and merchandising major, so what am I doing interning in a corporate world? My Co-op consists of an unpaid, part time internship in the marketing department of Philadelphia Magazine. And since it is unpaid, I had to get another job to support myself, which is why I have my second job: a paid internship in the communications department of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
Now, back to the quote I mentioned before. It has definitely been an interesting two weeks working in a world that is so different from the life of a student in a creative study. However, I am learning more than I could have imagined and it is only week two of the six month long experience. The way I am personalizing this experience is by being the more serious, refined, and business oriented young woman (referring to the speaking softly) but expressing myself through simple things (like carrying a loud bag). My outfits, choice of nail polish, my Breakfast at Tiffany’s notebook, and other small details are my greatest means of expression right now so I take pride in them. Today I even wore an animal print cardigan to work! Pushing the boundaries a bit, but I have just got to be me. It is a difficult task, fitting into a corporate world full of strangers but also still being yourself.
So why Philadelphia magazine and why the Chamber of Commerce you may ask? It is my dream to start my own fashion magazine one day, so why not learn from the best? Philadelphia magazine is a well-established and renowned magazine full of learning opportunities for a creative and eager young writer. And in regards to the Chamber of Commerce, I am in a 5-year program in which I’ll receive my M.B.A when I graduate. Therefore, I thought it would be beneficial to have some background in business. And thankfully, I’m in the communications department so it involves some creativity and writing.
In the coming weeks I know I’ll be learning about business, commerce, communications, and marketing. But I also know I will be mastering my Excel skills, perfecting the packed lunch, discovering exactly what animal prints are office appropriate, as well as learning even more about my hometown- Philadelphia. 

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool that you are doing two jobs that will be incredibly helpful to your career! I see that you have a blog too! How is it going from the magazine to the Chamber of Commerce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you want to create your magazine? Also are you allowed to pick a concentration for your MBA? I am thinking about getting mine in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete