Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What To Wear To Work


Many people would probably think as fashion majors, we would know exactly what to wear while interning within our industry. This is my second internship in the world of fashion, and I think many would agree that dressing for the job is not so simple. As an intern at BCBGMAXAZRIA, I was told on the first day that all interns must wear all black. Many people probably would also assume that this could only make it even simpler to dress for work. However in reality, it has proved quite a challenge.
On the first day when dress code was explained, the interns were told to wear all black, however we still must appear fashionable, and put together. It is expected that we represent the brand, and have a professional appearance with hair fixed and make up done. I have learned through interning that this is very important not only to the company, but also to the intern. I work in the Public Relations department of the BCBGMAXAZRIA New York show room, and there is not a day that goes by in which a stylist, editor, or other fashion VIP does not enter the showroom while the interns are working around them. Aside from these guests, there are employees of the company coming in and out, all of which are people whom we ultimately want to impress. It is a given that one extremely efficient way of doing this is by appearing fashionable and professional.
As I mentioned, having an all black dress code can definitely make it challenging at times to feel that you are being fashion forward. Many people may find this creatively restrictive, or challenging to come up with different outfits within such a limited color range. I have found some ways to work around this. Often times I will repeat the same basic pieces, such as leather leggings or a chunky black sweater, with completely different pieces than I normally would. I will wear the leather leggings and sweater once, and then wear the same sweater a few days later with a long maxi dress underneath it. Nobody has ever noticed that I am repeating pieces so often, as I am pairing them so differently each time. Another simple way to keep things fashionable with a strict dress codes it through accessories. I always try to incorporate color or multi-tonal accessories. Some emerald green earrings or a metallic gold belt can completely change the look of the same black outfit I wore a week ago.
So far I seem to have been successful with the all black dress code, and have learned to enjoy it. It is a new way to find creativity within my wardrobe. It was an ultimate compliment when the Vice President of P.R. told me how she adored my emerald green vintage inspired costume earrings, which I doubt she would have noticed if I was not put together in an all black outfit that really made them pop. As interns, it is our job to learn and prosper in a professional setting. I think now is the perfect time to learn to cope with office dress code, and to learn the best ways to adhere our personal styles in a professional and put together manner which reflects who we are and what we do. 

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to how hard it is to find stylish all black outfit! That's awesome you can add color too though. I am finding that my entire wardrobe is slowly being taken over by all black!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New York is all about the black! It's funny how such major designers are constantly coming out with the same pieces in black but that's because it is so sleek and put together. Look at Kelly Cutrone, all she wears is black! I notice that the higher up officials here tend to wear black as well. It sounds like you're making really good outfit choices though. At least it's Fall/Winter so black is more embraced. If it was Spring/Summer you may not feel the same!

    ReplyDelete