Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Always Something New...

This week at QVC, I find myself still learning and having new experiences. Today in fact, there were singers practicing in the atrium practicing for an event going on tomorrow. I can see by the various events that are held there that the business does really support everything that it says it does. QVC stands for Quality, Convenience and Value and everyday, I can see how this is true both for customers and the employees. The event that is tomorrow is a holiday celebration where all of the employees can enjoy music and breakfast for free. It is nice to be a part of business that cares for the people employed there.

Last week, I had the opportunity of pitching directly to an editor and I can see that I am being trusted with more responsibilities. The pitch to the editor involved me responding to a request that she had and I gave her my ideas. Usually, the PR team asks me for my ideas and I send them directly back to them and they pitch it to the editor but this time, I was trusted enough to do it myself. I feel that I am finally fulfilling my duties and getting to participate in a more direct way than before.

Yesterday, I had to order a bunch of pieces from the jewelry line, Melania. Melania Trump is the wife of Donald Trump and she has a beautiful line that includes everything from watches to earrings. The pieces were delivered today and I had the pleasure of unpacking them and getting them ready for an event tomorrow. Tomorrow, they will be showcased at Trump Towere where Melania herself will be talking about her favorites.

Pictured are the pieces on my desk.

Today, we had a team meeting and talked about how we did this year and our goals for the future. I always enjoy these meetings because it gives me a chance to learn about things that happened in the past that I hadn't known of before. The other thing I enjoy about these meetings is that I get to hear about what is currently going on and how I am involved. When I am given jobs to do, I don't always know why I'm doing them, but in these meetings I get to find out.

Overall, this week was very rewarding. One of the products that I pitched even got placed on a blog! Then, for another pitch, I had to find clothing that was similar to that in the show, Downtown Abbey. First of all, Downtown Abbey is set in the '20s so I had no idea how we were expected to have things that would resemble anything like that, but I chose what I thought might work and it was sent to the editor. Today, I heard back that the editor thought that the pieces were "brilliant" and that was very nice to hear, especially since I thought that it was impossible!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you got to pitch your idea directly to the editor! Were you nervous? Glad you are enjoying your experience at QVC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty nervous at the time, I haven't gotten a response from that particular editor but today I had a whole new bitch with a bunch of editors that I reached out to and a few of them got back to me. Today's task involved a lot of making sure that all of the email addresses for the editors matched up with the name of the blogger/editor that I was writing to!

    ReplyDelete