Tuesday, December 4, 2012

QVC, a 24/7 Job

Most people that know of QVC know that it is a business that runs 24/7. What a lot of people don't know is that it also runs 364 days a year, Christmas is the only day that the programming is not live. That's not to say that the shows shut down completely, there is actually new programs during that day but they are just not shot live. Although I am in PR and not in the studio, I have still come to realize that the job is still happening every minute of everyday. Right now for instance, as I am writing this post, I am watching QVC.

I have found myself watching QVC more and more. I think that is because it is so cool to see the things on TV that I have physically worked with and pitched to magazine editors. Just now, Joan Rivers was on showing some of her new merchandise and one of the bracelets on the show is one that I took to be photographed a few weeks ago at the weekly photo shoot that I am in charge of handling. (Without fail, I have another one tomorrow!)

There are so many familiar products and show hosts on TV that I see and work with on a daily basis; it is still unbelievable to me that this is what I do as my co-op. Sure, there are run of the mill things that happen and of course it isn't all glamourous, but seeing the place I work at on TV is definitely a cool factor of my job. I love being able to learn more about the products that I work with because it helps me to do my job at work. When an editor is asking for something, it is very important to know what kind of inventory we have, so watching on TV and learning more is definitely rewarding when it comes to creating a pitch.

A lot of exciting offers are going on at QVC right now and it's fun to see all of the new products for the Holidays and the New Year. Although most of the pitches that I'm doing right now are for the Spring months, there are still some last minute pitches that need to get done before the holidays. This week, I have been working on a few pitches focused on the new year. One is "New Year, New You" and the other is "Fitness & Wellness in the New Year." The New Year, New You pitch is about different things that a woman would want in a new year. There are clothing pieces to dress up and down along with accessories and jewelry. The Fitness & Wellness is pretty self explanatory, but I actually learned a lot while doing it because I didn't realize how much we offer for exercise and fitness. There are so many weight loss products as well as exercise DVDs and much more. One of the products that I was really surprised to see is P90X!

I am continuously learning new things and being surprised by the work that I do. Last week I was so busy that I forgot what it was like to have down time! Now, it is slowing down a little bit, but not much. I am finding a lot of ways to keep myself busy and keep working on ongoing projects that don't need to be done right away. It's time that I go back to work now. (Back to watching QVC on TV that is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment