Sunday, December 9, 2012

Final Week at Work


This past week was my last few days at my internship with BCBG. As hectic as the office can get with less and less interns, I still enjoyed my last few days there. As it was just me, or one other girl and I for the week, we took on many new responsibilities and had the chance to talk more with our supervisors.

I had the opportunity to talk outside with one of my supervisors on a stressful day, and discuss the infamous topic of retail and career possibilities. I explained to him that although I enjoyed my internship, I feel much more comfortable in a retail setting than in an office. He completely understood where I was coming from, as he had worked in retail before as well. He was not as big of a fan of it as I am, which is common for most people. He told me how that was not a bad career choice and can be just as lucrative as an office job. We talked about the possibilities of visual merchandising teams that work in retail, as well as management positions. He definitely helped me to feel more confident with my feeling that retail may be a better career path for me than working in a corporate office.

It ended up becoming so hectic on my last day that we all almost forgot. As I walked out and said bye, my supervisor said “See ya tomorrow”, and when I told him he wouldn’t, everyone leaped up. They all felt so terrible that the day had slipped by and we had all forgotten it was my last day. The manager asked me if I had taken any samples from the back as a going away gift. Luckily, my supervisor had already given me a blue skirt and leather jacket earlier in the day. They invited me back to intern during the runway shows in the winter, and I told them I definitely would like to do that. They all thanked me and hugged me as I left, and I felt confident that I had made a good impression on the team and an attachment to the company. 

1 comment:

  1. That's very comforting that your supervisor told you a job in a retail setting can be just as lucrative as an office job. I feel more comfortable in a retail setting as well. That's awesome you got to take some samples too!

    ReplyDelete