Sunday, December 9, 2012

ThinkFest


Innovation has been a recent theme in Philadelphia, seen in everything from business, entrepreneurial spirit, education, and elsewhere throughout the city. This theme has captivated Philadelphia Magazine and to exhibit the fascination the magazine has with this trend, they put together their first ThinkFest event. ThinkFest was a two-day event that brought together the brightest minds in Philadelphia. Philadelphians such as Stephen Starr, Ivan Barias, Jim Gardner, and many more shared their thoughts on Philadelphia and the direction the city is going.
As a young adult hoping to start a business in Philadelphia one day, it was fascinating and energizing to hear the top executives in real estate, city planning, government offices, and the restaurant and music industry share their insight and secrets to their success. Additionally, as a born and raised Philadelphian myself, I learned even more about my hometown and was convinced that yes, this is the city in which I hope to make my business flourish.
I was very lucky because although I was working the event, I received plenty of opportunities to also enjoy the event. While assisting editors and event planners, I observed presentations and overheard speakers stay around and chat afterward (I even tried to get some networking done while I was there).
The event was exhausting, it was many, many long hours, and consisted of lots of heavy lifting, event prep, and event clean up. However, I was able to be apart of something big for the city of Philadelphia. When the event was over I felt bonded with my team and bosses, and was also proud of myself for making it through the exhausting hours of work. Not only was it rewarding to help make the event happen, but I received a once in a lifetime learning opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment