Sunday, December 9, 2012

Getting What I Want


Working in the real world is full of life lessons and through this lessons, I have recently been faced with a great amount of doubt as to what I want to pursue as a career. In fact, never in my entire life have I faced this level of uncertainty or have even at all questioned what I wanted to do. My plan was to always work in fashion magazines and eventually when I was ready, start my own. But now I wonder if hoping for that job path is realistic. Will I be able to pay off my loans? Where will I live when I graduate? Can I handle a 9-5 job? Why did I pursue such marketing and business driven internships if I want a creative job? My questions go on and on.
It is an understatement to say that all of these questions have been overwhelming. So when faced with this challenge, I needed to find a solution and I needed to find it as quickly as possible. I always seem to turn to Google with my questions, both silly and profound. In my Google quest is when I stumbled upon this book, Life After College, The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want by Jenny Blake.
The book is written by a life coach who helps you to do exactly as the title says, get what you want. It is filled with conversation starters (conversations you start with yourself) and exercises to get you thinking about your goals and how to tackle them. It not only covers the career aspect of your life, but home, organization, relationships, finances, and more.
I have been reading through it a bit each day and I already feel more confident. Through this book, I am learning about myself but I feel that I am standing up to my career challenges and fears. I would recommend the book to anyone questioning what he or she will do once they graduate.

1 comment:

  1. All of these concerns are very relevant. I find myself asking myself a lot of these same questions, especially the one focused on creative vs. business. I'm happy that you recommended that book, I'm definitely going to look into it!

    ReplyDelete