Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Job vs. Career


Having a job is suppose to do more than pay your bills and give you something to do everyday, it is suppose to be a fulfilling experience. And they say, the difference between a job and a career is passion.

I noticed this all to be very true the other day when my work routine changed. Rather than doing a wide range of tasks, for example, organizing guest lists, doing research for upcoming events, or working on data collection sheets, I only copy-edited pieces for my boss. This means that all day I was writing and editing- something I love to do!

When I was given these projects before, I made sure to point out that I really enjoy writing copy and editing. Since then, I have noticed more and more opportunities to do this. It makes me feel that my boss wants to give me work that I enjoy. It also has allowed me to understand that working is GREAT when you are doing what you love, all day, every day.

Finding a practical skill that I love to do is helping me to find a focus and more specific direction for my career. It has reassured me that my choice to minor in communications as well as to focus on merchandising technologies is what is best for me. I know that Excel sheets, phone calls, and organizational tasks lie ahead, but it is nice to have writing assignments to keep me motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment