Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Year, New Job!


Hello lovelies! If you don’t know me, my name is Maeve Walker and I’m a junior.  I’ve been really fortunate to have my co-op at Anthropologie doing Visuals, but I thought I would challenge myself and take on a second part-time job to fill up my time.
This is my second week at the Navy Yard doing a Vintage Buying internship with Free People.  I do three days a week at Anthropologie at 18th and Walnut, and now I am working two days a week at Home Office.  The Home Office buildings are absolutely exquisite.  Anyone can come down and eat in the cafeteria, and I highly suggest doing it if you haven’t yet!
I’ve had a really great start to this job.  I had an orientation with a few other new hires and learned more about the Urban company.  We had a new hire lunch, and got a tour of the gorgeous Free People building.  Each group has an open workspace, there is lots of natural light, and there are fabrics and samples all around.  Everyone has been extremely kind to me and helpful, even when I ask silly questions or get lost.  I feel like an actual member of their community and not just another nameless intern.
I have gotten a lot of training from my assistant boss, Julie. She taught me how to enter items into the system, create SKUs so we can identify prodcuts, and take photos of them just for our personal database.  All of the clothing (both vintage and regular Free People) gets shot professionally for the website in the photo studio a few floors above us!
 All of the vintage clothing and accessories are in beautiful condition and it is so much fun to look at all of it.  My boss, Ali, picks out each item for a concept that is released once a month – there are always new stories and items coming in and I am so excited to see them! You never know what could be coming next!  You should definitely check out the website to see what we have going on.  Vintage Loves is solely online (minus a few exceptions) and can be found at: http://www.freepeople.com/vintage-loves/
Each day gets busier and comes with more responsibility.  A lot of product needs to move quickly between our different areas (photos, copy writers, distribution, shipment, etc).  It’s pretty cool to think that something I touched and helped organize will be seen by the whole world! (On the Internet, at least).  
I could go on and on about a million things (YAY FOR 10 MORE POSTS!). I look forward to learning more about Free People, gaining trust and responsibility, and sharing these experiences with you!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a cool opportunity, Maeve! I really respect the fact that you chose to take on another internship!

    ReplyDelete