Thursday, January 24, 2013

More Fun, More Responsibility!


Hey everyone!  I hope you all had shorter weeks this week (maybe). Although I am realizing that in the retail world, there is no rest!  My boss was in New York on Monday and Wednesday, but she gave me some tasks to do while she was gone.  I had to enter more items into the system for releases later in February or maybe even March.  Every item is so beautiful and rarely do they even have any signs of prior use.  It’s really great to think that people are still selling such priceless items in great condition.

Last week, my bosses gave me a goals sheet with items that they want me to accomplish before my internship ends.  It’s really exciting for me and definitely relieving to have these things written down, so I can see what they want from me at all times.

On Monday, I received training for one of the items on my goals list.  I was given admin access to the website to assist the Web Merchandising team.  Basically what this means is that I can organize the way people see the product online!  It’s really the same as in-store merchandising – you put things near the front that are special or different, or mix things up for regular customers that are looking for something that they may have missed before.  I have to do this once a week to keep things looking fresh on the site, and keep the customer coming back!  We have different collections (or vignettes) that we merchandise within, as well as the general categories (clothing, shoes, accessories, etc).  Most of Wednesday involved merchandising the website – it’s so much fun to play with, and really teaches me how to group certain styles and items together!

On Wednesday, I also learned how to measure the clothing for our website – since it is vintage, no size is exact.  We have to measure the chest, length, sleeve length, and shoulders of each garment to give customers enough information to purchase it! 

Another task that I am going to start soon is writing blog posts for our internal Free People blog, talking about what is going on over in the vintage department lately.  We have one girl that runs the internal blog, Brigette, and I’m sure I’ll be talking about her and this experience more in the coming weeks!

Three of our February vignettes launched on Tuesday  (Sugar Magnolia, American Hearts, and Victorian Dreamer).  It’s really amazing to see items that you helped tag and label sitting up online for people to buy! You can check them out if you’re curious: www.freepeople.com/vintage-loves !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment