Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"What do you do?" -An explanation of Public Relations at QVC

I have found that even after three months of working at QVC, people still ask me what I'm doing and I always hesitate before I answer. This is because I try to put it in terms that someone would understand without actually witnessing what I do on a daily basis. I have mentioned before that no two days are the same for me, but even with that being said, I do have a somewhat routine schedule in that my weeks involve a lot of the same things, just at different times on different days.

One thing that is always the same and somewhat nerve racking is the daily deadline of noon for what we call PAFs. A PAF is a Personal Account Form and we use them to get products sent to editors and bloggers to use for a picture placement or to write about. First, I have to look up the item number in what we call "Source History" to see the six number extension to the item number. The extra digits vary based on the color and size of the item. Then, with the twelve or thirteen digit number, we use a system called IBM to find out what warehouse the product is in. Fromt there, the PAF form gets created with the warehouse information along with where it is being shipped and other facts like that. The most important thing is the date that it is needed by. The noon deadline applies when the product is needed for the next day. If the product is not needed that urgently, the form can be completed later on in the day. Just yesterday, I had to place an order for 13 items before noon and I only found out at 11:40. Although twenty minutes seems like a lot of time, all of the work that goes into the process takes much longer. Most of the time, more than one PAF has to be created because each different warehouse requires a separate form. I must say though, I get a rush out of getting so much done in a short time!

Another thing that I work on that is not so time sensitive is work on media contact lists. This week, I am compiling a list of California newspaper writers who cover fashion and beauty. I am doing this for our Red Carpet event that takes place in February in LA. This is a common thing for PR people to do because after the list is compiled, we reach out to the people on the list and see if we can get media coverage of the event. Red Carpet is a big event for QVC and the office has been filled with chatter of what will be happening at this years' event.

Tomorrow, like every Wednesday, I will be helping with the photo shoot. Last week, the photo shoot was planned to be from 9-12, but actually ran until 3. There are so many little things that have to be fixed and propped in different ways to make the product look its' best. The worst is when items are reflective. The lighting and reflection always causes a problem for the camera and it ends up nearly impossible for the photographer to capture it and for me to photoshop it. I have definitely improved my skills in photoshop and have become quite fond of the clone stamp. It is a skill that I know Jan (all of my d&m people know...) will be proud of! My coworkers make at least one comment a day about how impressed they are with my work. One of the pictures I edited recently was even published in the Boston Globe online and possibly in print soon!

1 comment:

  1. Haha love the Jan reference! Congratulations on your picture being published in the Boston Globe online!

    ReplyDelete